Archive for the ‘electric generator’ Category:
The file (549 KB) will cover the following topics:
HISTORY OF POWER GENERATION
- 1878 – Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison independently invented the carbon filament that produced light from electricity – incandescent lamp.
- 1879 – Thomas Edison founded the electric company, his greatest achievement – “Edison Electric Light Station”.
- 1882 – Carl de Laval invented steam turbine that drove electric generators more efficiently than earlier reciprocating steam engines. Coal then oil was used.
- 1884 – Charles Parsons constructs the first practical steam turbine electric generator to be driven by fuel-burning power plants in the electric power industry.
- 1895 – Niagara Falls – world’s first large-scale central generating station transmitts power 20 miles away to Buffalo and it employed 2-phase AC techniques of Nikola Tesla.
- 1905 – Albert Einstein publishes his “Theory of Relativity” and the equation E = m c2, foundation of nuclear power.
- 1907 – a new material called tungsten was used to replace carbon strips of bamboo as filament in the incandescent lamps
Other inventions that used electricity – electric trams and railways for urban transport, telephone and telegraph, phonograph, radio and television, incandescent and fluorescent lighting, electric motors and electric heating, refrigeration and air conditioning, computers and electronics – accelerated the need for larger and reliable generating plants.
Price: 11 USD
The file (3.22 MB) will cover the following topics:
Electricity – most sophisticated form of energy in use in the world today
Primary way to meet growing demand – build power plants or repower old plants to raise capacity
Electricity is the flow of electrons (current) when an energy potential (voltage) is applied.
Generation of Electricity
- How is electricity generated?
- Three types of materials
- How does an electric field look?
- Electric energy potential
- Electric potential & current
- Right hand rule
- Electromotive force emf
- Electric motors
- Principle of electric generator
- How is mechanical energy produced?
Price: 64 USD